Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Sad Day for Us All...

There was a tragedy in the Larsen home last evening. It started like most other Thursday nights, but by the time Alexa and I had gone to bed, we had been numbed by the devastating loss we had experienced.

Alexa, the sweet wife that she is, usually volunteers to do the laundry all by herself, often while I am gallivanting at Hogi Yogi. I was home this time, though, and tried to help her cart the massive volume of clothes around the corner to the Union Square Laundry room.

Later, when the clothes were done drying, I went to go pick them up. To my surprise, when I opened the dryer we'd used for our darks, I found this:


That's right. Amidst our clothes was this stick of chapstick. I, not knowing the harm it could cause, laughed as I got back to our apartment. "Hey, babe, funny story. Guess what I found in the dryer?"

Alexa, knowing the problem chapstick could cause, was less jovial. To make a long (and sad) story short, more than a few of our clothes had greasy chapstick spots. A few of the casualties are pictured below.


Alexa wasn't going to be much help that night. Like a rookie soldier seeing her first dead comrade, she was a bit of a mess. I sent her to bed before the psychological scarring became permanent.

With the new found calmness in the apartment, I set to work, breaking out the big guns- Spray 'N Wash...


... And then washing the clothes by hand in our sink, and laying them out to dry all over our living room.


Sorry to say my efforts weren't very effective, but then today we used some dish soap and the washing machines (that had been closed by the time we needed them the night before), and saved most of the clothes.

But it was still a sad day, and one we won't soon forget!

No comments: