Saturday, October 11, 2014

Slow and Steady?

Things are just humming along here. Unfortunately, we didn't get as early a start as we'd hoped - they broke Alexa's water around 2pm, and started Pitocin around 3pm, and since then, I don't know that we've seen a great deal of progress (speaking, of course, as the labor-and-delivery expert that I am). Contractions seem to be coming every two and a half minutes or so, though, so... any time now?

At least they gave Alexa her epidural before anything else, anticipating that things might move quickly, so it's been a relatively pain-free couple of hours, all things considered.

Around 6pm, I ran out to grab dinner for both of us at Red Rock Subs in downtown Everett.


They are famous for their pot roast subs, which, yes, are as amazing as they sound. I picked up two mushroom and swiss pot roast subs and headed back to the hospital.

Alexa, of course, can't really eat anything, so I guess I pretty much got dinner just for me - her sandwich is sitting in the nurses refrigerator, behind a locked door, our name and room number clearly written on the wrapper (take that, any would-be food thieves). Being the gentleman that I am, I ate outside at a picnic table, enjoying what will probably be the last moments of calm and solitude I'll have for a while.

Alexa's keeping positive by powering through some TV.



At this point, I'm pretty sure we're going to be awake all night keeping these kids happy, but it's still so exciting!

I do think it's a little unfair that we're going straight from one kid to three kids, but I'm sure both of our girls will be the sweetest little angels you've ever seen...

Alexa's still not sure how we'll assign names. We have the names - Kate and Emily - but how do you pick which girl gets which name? I used to joke that we really liked the name Kate better, so we'd give that to the more homely looking baby to even things out.

Nobody really ever laughed at that, so I've stopped saying it (I mean, really, how can you say that any baby looks "homely"? They all look like little aliens...).

I think "baby A" will be Kate and "baby B" will be Emily, and that's a fine enough methodology for me. Hopefully we'll get to employ it before it gets too late, but on the other hand, 10/12/14 is a pretty rocking birth date.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I laughed. :-D

Unknown said...

I laughed too. Good luck!

Ashley said...

I like the system for assigning names. I agree how can you really decide that? Best of luck Alexa! I hope that by the time I am reading this that it is over! And way to go eating outside the room Daniel, that was really nice of you.