Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Life as a Teacher

I have been a 1st Grade teacher for the past four years. It was my first "real" job and it was a great one.



Sure, it could be challenging at times, and there were some not so fun moments occasionally, but I knew it was exactly what I should be doing. There were many circumstances leading up to this job that helped be know that it was where I needed to be. I was so blessed to have that job.

I loved my classroom and school, but I especially loved my cute little kids and the teachers I worked with. I made some great friends there (who I miss very much!). I loved being able to read children's books all day long. I loved being called "Teacher!" - some teachers hated that, but I liked it. I loved watching their writing go from something completely illegible at the beginning of the year to something much better by the end. I loved teaching them to read, but also to love books.

The teachers at my school are going back to school tomorrow - but not me. I will be taking care of Will, cleaning, packing, and flying to California. It will be my first official day as a stay-at-home mom.

It will be so different not to go back tomorrow. It has been so strange to walk by all of the school supplies in Target and not buy 20 of everything. It has been sad to look at the few shelves of books in Will's room and think about the 50 (slight exaggeration) shelves of books I left behind in Utah. It has also been sad to see so many cute teaching ideas pinned on Pinterest. I get excited every time and then remember that they don't apply to me anymore.

So I am a little sad, but also very grateful. The timing of everything worked out so well to allow me to stay home with Will. I am SO glad that I chose to marry someone who had the same priority of me staying home to raise our children. I am grateful that Daniel has a good job so that we can afford to do that.

Still, it will mean some sacrifices. For about four months, we experienced having two real incomes. Wow! I had no idea what that was like. It is probably a good thing that we only had that for four months, because I did think (for about a second) how great that would be on a permanent basis. I had dreams of a house, vacations, and all kinds of other nice things - which I know we will have someday, just not yet. And I'm okay with that. We have a wonderful life.

To end, here is a picture of the little guy who makes it all worth it. I adore being his mama.



Okay, three pictures. I couldn't resist.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alexa - I hope that you are able to go back to teaching at some point. It sounds as if you really adored your job. The world needs more teachers like that, especially to kick-start a love of learning and books at a young age! I also hope that when our children enter school that they are lucky enough to have passionate teachers!!!

Ashley said...

that is how i felt my first day after maternity leave ended and I was officially done with my job. I loved mine too, but staying home is a great thing. I am excited to see how it goes! and I agree about the 2 incomes, those 4 months were great, but still i think i would take staying home with michael over vacations (at least right now ;)).

Kim said...

Yeah, I missed teaching too the first year I wasn't there. And this year it was still weird to walk passed the sales on school supplies. Hope you enjoy your time with Will!